- Consideration of clinical trials
- Initiating conversations about poor prognosis
- Guidelines for discontinuing cancer-directed treatments
- Individualizing approaches to care
- Empowering patients
- Maximizing quality of life
The complete article can be accessed at: http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/early/2011/01/24/JCO.2010.33.1744.full.pdf+html
We can help you determine the likely prognosis and if the life expectancy is six months or less, we can suggest ways to approach the patient and family about changing the focus of care from cure to comfort.
If you like, Pathways can have a nurse visit to explain hospice to appropriate patients and families, so that they will have sufficient information to make an informed decision about using their hospice benefit.