Soon it will be holiday time again and reminders of their loss are everywhere for those who are grieving. Traditionally this is a time of joy, sharing of memories, warmth, peace, and coming together in love.
WAYS OF COPING
While there are no universal methods for healing and coping, there are some concrete things you can do that may make the holidays easier and provide an opportunity to honor those you love who have died.
Acknowledge your grief; accept yourself in whatever mood you find yourself.
- Remember you are not alone. Attend a remembrance event or grief support group.
- Make some personal choices based on your level and what is right for you.
- Give yourself permission to let go of certain traditions–it’s okay to make changes.
- Share your plans with others; let them know how they can help you.
- Reserve time to honor your loved quietly, alone or with others: light a candle, place a photograph on the table, share memories, make a memorial donation.