- 1.58 million hospice patients served
- Average length of service was 67.4 days
- Median length of service 19.7 days
- 66.7 % patients died at home
- 21.9% died in hospice inpatient facilities
- 11.4% died in acute care hospitals
- 87.2% of hospice patients were 65 or older: 38% were 85 or older
- 35.6% deaths with diagnosis cancer; 13% deaths with diagnosis dementia
Monday, May 14, 2012
The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) has released facts and figures for 2010. Key statistics in the report, which mainly compares data from 2009 to 2010, include:
The percentage of non-white Caucasian patients increased in every category: 11% multiracial or other race in 2010, compared to 8.7% in 2009; 8.9% v. 8.7% Black/African American; 2.5% v. 1.9% Asian, Hawaiian, other Pacific Islander; and 0.3% v. 0.2% American Indian or Alaskan native.
This article was originally published in Pathways Physician & Health Professional Bulletin - Issue 23. To download this issue in PDF format, or past issues, visit our newsletter archives online at www.pathwayshealth.org/publications.